Sunday, March 14, 2010

Purple Princess



Earlier in the week Miss Maeve was able to wear her tunic and leggings that I made for her SWAP, which continues to be a work in progress. I might finish by the end of this month, if I'm lucky. I really love this fabric and I have to say that it was expensive as hell. In fact, I'd only bought enough of it back in 2008 to make a blouse for her, since it was something like $32/yd! Okay, it is Liberty of London, but I don't know if I can justify paying that much. The funny thing is, it's such a sophisticated fabric for someone her age and I thought it was too pretty to pass up, even if she changed her mind. My thought was that I could use it for myself if she ended up not wanting it.

Not only did she not change her mind, but she decided that this tunic needed to be made in addition to the blouse (the one I just finished - sorry, no pics yet!). I didn't have enough fabric, so I had to search for it. The local store where I got it no longer had it. They offered to order it, but a special order was going to be more expensive, so I turned them down. After an exhausting search on the web I found it and ordered it from a place in London. It was still expensive, but this time I was paying about $27/meter, so I was getting more fabric for less money and that seemed worth it. I picked up the car-print fabric for T's birthday shirt at the same time.



Anyway, I had enough to make the blouse and the tunic, with enough left over to maybe use in a future project for someone. Plus, the solid-looking raspberry color on the placket is also used on the blouse yoke, so there's actually some kind of continuity in the SWAP. I like this tunic made in the longer dress-length - mostly because I can't stand that so many kids her age wear skirts that practically show their bums. Sorry, I like her bum to be covered, plus she has long legs and I know that come May she's going to want to wear this thing as a dress, without leggings. I may have to make a pair of bike shorts, though. For that I'll probably use the Riviera leggings pattern in Sewing Clothes Kids Love.

Last night I completed the Farbenmix Nala combi except for the waistband for Miss G; I didn't have the right elastic. Or rather, if I do, I can't find it. Anyway, I'll stop by the store on the way back from gymnastics tomorrow so I can get some, then I'll finish it and hopefully have pictures tomorrow to share. It looks super cute and she's totally excited for me to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment